GP Care Wakefield - Extended Operating Hours
From September 2017, GPs in Wakefield have worked together to develop a new scheme to enable patients across the district to have access to GP support after normal practice hours.
GP Care Wakefield, part of the Connecting Care+ programme, enables patients to access medical advice and, if required, access to a Wakefield GP appointment, through calling their own GP practice telephone number between:
- 18:00 and 22:00hrs Monday to Friday
- 09:00 to 15:00hrs Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holidays.
Patients will be provided with medical advice from a dedicated nursing team, who will assess the patients need, offer self care advice, signpost to the most appropriate service, or book patients into a same-day GP appointment at one of two sites across the district. It is anticipated that patients will be able to receive support quicker and therefore no longer seek to go to A and E for conditions that are not suitable.
The service offers routine primary care that includes access to simple diagnostics (blood tests, spirometry and ECG), family planning and support for simple chronic disease management, for patients whose conditions are stable. Utilising a patient record sharing system, the scheme enables the service to have access to the patient’s records if the patient gives consent.
From September 2017 to May 2018:
- 11,617 patients have accessed the Clinical Advice and Booking Service
- 9,128 patients have seen a GP or ANP in the service, booked through practices or the clinical advice service.
- 798 patients have seen a practice nurse for: pill checks, asthma reviews, dressings, and other primary care and nurse appointments
- 98% of patients were either extremely likely or likely to recommend the service.