Minor injuries and illnesses

Self care

If you have a minor illness or injury, such as a stomach upset or a bad graze, then you can often treat your condition at home. Most minor ailments can be treated with rest and plenty of fluids. For minor cuts and grazes, cleaning the wound under clean, running water and covering with a plaster or gauze and tape will help prevent infection.

Plan ahead by stocking up on healthcare essentials such as paracetamol or aspirin, indigestion remedies and plasters. You will find these at your local pharmacy.

Choosing the right NHS service

Your local pharmacy can provide expert, confidential advice and treatment. Best of all, there is no need for an appointment. A pharmacist can:

  • Offer advice on treating minor ailments and injuries
  • Give advice on medication and whether you need to see your GP
  • Help you manage certain long-term conditions
  • Dispense medicine when you give them your prescription
  • Give sexual health and contraception advice If you need medical help or advice and aren’t sure where to go, call 111 first.