Who we are and what we do
CCGS are led by a team of local clinicians such as GPs, consultants and nurses which have taken over from the old Primary Care Trusts.
NHS Wakefield CCG was established as part of the major changes to the NHS set out in the 2010 White Paper Equity and Excellence – Liberating the NHS which became law under the Health and Social Care Act 2012.
From April 2013 Primary Care Trusts were abolished under the 2012 Act and Clinical Commissioning Groups became responsible for commissioning or buying health and care services including:
- Elective hospital care
- Rehabilitation care
- Urgent and emergency care
- Most community health services
- Mental health and learning disability services
CCGs are overseen by NHS England, which is a national body formed under the Health and Social Care Act 2012. Local offices of NHS England will oversee their local CCGs such as Wakefield and also manage primary care commissioning, including holding GP practices NHS contracts.
As well as creating CCGs and NHS England the Act establishes several other new bodies including:
- Healthwatch England - responsible for providing advice on the views of local organisations and service users.
- The Health and Social Care Information Centre – responsible for publishing and assessing the quality of information produced by health and social care bodies.
- Public Health England – responsible for public health.
- eMBED contracts with NHS Wakefield CCG and several local CCGs to provide a range of functions, including business intelligence and procurement advice.
The NHS White Paper, Equity and excellence: Liberating the NHS, sets out the Government’s long-term vision for the future of the NHS.
The NHS Constitution has been created to protect the NHS and make sure it will always do the things it was set up to do in 1948 – to provide high-quality healthcare that’s free and for everyone.
The NHS Constitution will also make sure that no government can change the way the NHS works without getting the approval of staff, patients and the public.
NHS England published The Five Year Forward in October 2014, it sets out a vision for the future of the NHS. The Five Year Forward View starts the move towards a different NHS, recognising the challenges and outlining potential solutions to the big questions facing health and care services in England. It defines the framework for further detailed planning about how the NHS needs to evolve over the next five years.
NHS England, Monitor, the NHS Trust Development Authority, the Care Quality Commission, Public Health England and Health Education England have come together to issue the joint planning guidance for the NHS. The guidance sets out the steps to be taken by Clinical Commissioning Groups during 2015/16 to start delivering the The Five Year Forward.
- Details of board or governing body members and other key personnel.
- Details of general practices which are members of the CCG.
Lists of and information relating to key organisations we work in partnership with
Wakefield CCG is committed to working in partnership with a range of organisations such as these shown below:
- Wakefield Council
- South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS Foundation Trust
- Mid Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust
- Wakefield Council Health and wellbeing boards
- Wakefield and Kirklees Health Scrutiny Joint Committee – Wakefield Council
- Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust
- NHS England
- North Kirklees Clinical Commissioning Group
- Greater Huddersfield Clinical Coming Group
- Health and Safety Executive
- HM Revenues and Customs
- NHS Improvement
- Health Watch Wakefield
- NHS Property Services
- Public Health England
The South West Yorkshire Area Prescribing Committee (SWYAPC) coordinates issues of prescribing. The SWYAPC is involved in classifying drugs that may be used in primary and secondary care, and the production of shared care guidelines to ensure a consistent approach to the use of these drugs.
Locations and contact details of NHS Wakefield CCG
NHS Wakefield Clinical Commissioning Group
White Rose House
Telephone: 01924 213050